Wednesday, December 21, 2005

New Matisyahu Video About to BLOW UP fo' rizzeal

as reported on Jewschool.com:
I'm sure you've all been waiting, and now it's here (or here): a newly produced video of 'King Without a Crown.' If for some reason you don't have time to watch it online, I'm sure you'll see it on MTV soon 'nuff, because it's bound to blow up on TRL.

Also, in related news, I've been in Southern California for the past couple days and have already heard Matisyahu's songs on the radio at least four or five times (mostly on KROQ, where he is at this moment listed as the #1 most played artist). It's all very hard for me to believe. Just a year ago I heard about him from my yeshivish friends, some of them even called him a gimmick at the time. But it looks like now everybody loves him. His December 31st show in San Diego sold out a long time ago, and now those tickets are selling on Craigslist for $200 a piece.

But, as with any popular music phenomenon, there are dissenters. Max from the X-Lubi.com blog, thinks Matis is "not-all-that" and, being the Chassidic reggae connoisseur that he is, says he was way more into Benny Bwoy, who he considers the O.G. chassidic reggae champ. Well, time will tell, won't it, Max?

While Matis has taken the pop-reggae scene by storm, I don't know if the world is ready for a Chassidic rapper like Jewda Maccabee. The video is way cheezy, but the lyrics are pretty deep and his voice reminds me a bit of Eminem. In fact, as far as quality of video production, I wouldn't rate Jewda much higher than The Chevra boys. And their fans.

And then there are the Islamic fundamentalist reggae artists, pffff, the amateurs. Islamic jihads got NOTHING on Matis.

3 Comments:

Blogger G-D SQUAD said...

dang, talk about transfer of ideas: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1190973115879532046

Sun Jan 29, 01:49:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

Seriously, I've got that Chevra song in my head. And I heard the Matis song all over Z100, ever since the record dropped. Yikes.

Sun Mar 26, 11:08:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the JewDa video is kind of low budget BUT the guy can rap....
and the beat is mad tight....

Sun Jun 11, 03:55:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home