Thursday, June 15, 2006

He'Brew: Messiah Bold

Since I lived in the Bayit back in 2004, there has always been a 'quick list' of kosher alcohols up on my fridge. One of the first bullet-points is this: "Note: Nearly all unflavored beers are acceptable, but He'Brew is preferred." Yes, that's He'Brew: the Chosen Beer (for the Chosen People, I might add).

Now, some of you may be grumbling and thinking, "I've had better beer." Or maybe, "What could be non-kosher about alcohol to begin with?" Or maybe, "I'm hungry so I'm grumbling about it." Well, in a blind taste-test, He'Brew got rated Jewiest out of 35 different beers. Jay kay, I made that up. But it's a good beer in my opinion, and the shtick definitely goes a long way.

So what's up with alcohol being kosher, you ask? Well I'm no rabbi, but as far as I understand it, there's not really a worry that there will be pork in the vodka (although I've heard a rumor, unconfirmed, mind you, that Jagermeister has deer blood in it?). Rather, the worry is that either a non-kosher ingredient will be used for flavoring or coloring (e.g. the food colorants cochineal and carmine are made from ground beetles), or that non-kosher grape-derived alcohol will be used to fortify the alcohol content, or that the alcohol will have been stored in caskets that previously held non-kosher wine.

But all this talk, and the whole purpose for this post was to let you guys know that He'Brew is coming out with some new brews and they're throwing a couple parties, SF-style, in celebration.

As reported on Jewschool:
Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Doctors
Monday June 19, 8:00pm @ Amnesia (853 Valencia btw 19th & 20th)
Hebraic bluegrass dance jams with The Jewgrass Boys
Voted Best Bay Area Blue Grass Night–FREE!
Genesis 10:10 and Genesis Ale go head to head…nose to nose…is bigger really better? You Decide!

National Release Party
Thursday June 22, 6-10pm
Toronado aka Temple of Beer, the Mothership, Beer Utopia (547 Haight Street, SF)
For the first time ever all of The Chosen Beers will be on draft including 2 brand spankin’ new 10th Anniversary radical offerings, Genesis 10:10 and Bittersweet LEnny’s R.I.P.A.
For more info, check the Jewschool post.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually had some He'Brew Beer the other night. I was genuinely impressed and enjoyed it.

****Is that first party in S.F.?

Fri Jun 16, 09:09:00 AM 2006  
Blogger G-D SQUAD said...

Yep, they're both in SF. And frankly I wish I could go, but I'll be out of the Bar Area.

Fri Jun 16, 11:19:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey G-d Squad! Thanks for the heads-up! I tried to put in a trackback/backlink to this post. Lemme know if I can fix it.

Mon Jun 19, 04:59:00 PM 2006  
Blogger G-D SQUAD said...

YB.. yeah, sorry, I don't know what's up with Blogger lately and the linking business. Wish I could tell you. Anyway, if anyone is going to the He'Brew event tonight, have a great time! L'chaim!

Mon Jun 19, 06:05:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi: The rumour about Jagermeiter is just a rumour. I have confirmed with people who know about these things that there is no deer blood (or any other kind of blood) in that particular drink. There are some European wines that used to use blood as a flavor. "When in doubt, do without."

There are two He"brew Beer events this week in SF. The details are on www.santacruzhillel.org

l'chaim!

-shalom

Tue Jun 20, 11:29:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home