Friday, June 16, 2006

Summertime

The 2005/6 school year is officially over. It seems like all my friends are graduating, and all the undergrads are going abroad in the Fall. I wish you all success wherever life takes you.

The JewniProj has had its successes and its failures. I didn't know exactly where it would go when it was first launched last January. I wanted to bring the community together more online and create an open forum where people could express their concerns and opinions freely; I wanted to increase UCSC's Jewish presence online, and create a more informed Jewish student body. It was an ambitious goal, especially since we were grass-roots and didn't have the explicit support from the UCSC Jewish org machers in the beginning. But we thrived for the most part.

The JewniProj is officially going into Summer mode. Now, since the blog was designed mainly for UCSC students, that means the blog doesn't serve the same purpose during the summer. Some of our contributors have assured me that they'll continue posting throughout the summer, but it's not very likely judging by the amount of posts that they have composed in the past month. So, for the summer it will be what it will be, and in the Fall, if things go as planned, the blog will resume and function as it has the past six months. I'll still be in Santa Cruz through the summer, so I'll update as often as possible and announce any Jewish events that I hear about.

I want to sincerely thank all of our contributors who have taken time and effort out of their busy schedules the past half-year to work on this blog, without pay, without class credits, without even knowing if anyone in the world was reading it. Thank you for believing in this project, and I hope you will all continue to contribute in the future.

And now it's summertime. The fish are jumpin and the cottons high The wild blackberry bushes around town are in bloom and will be heavy with fruit within a month's time. Traffic and noise pollution have both already noticeably decreased with the exodus of UCSC's student population. In the evenings, I can hear the far-off echo of laughter and cheer from the Boardwalk, the crest of whose wooden roller coaster curves on the horizon towards the ocean; I believe there is a cliche about life being a roller coaster. Sorry for waxing poetic, I'm in a very brooding mood, and I don't know how many are still reading, since it's the summer.

We want Moshiach now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers (it's what everyone seems to say around here)

JK-UK, L'chaim!


-Zev

Thu Jun 22, 07:08:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the Jewnification Project go from strength to strength. OMG-d Squad, hats off to you... wait, keep your head covered. But definitely enjoy your summer vacation.

P.S.- Since I studied at Bezerkeley:

"What do we want?!
---Moshiakh!
When do we want it?
---Now!!"

;-)

Thu Jun 22, 09:40:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uriel,

Yasher Koach on the blog and enjoy the summer rest! As someone who has had some concerns about this blog in the past (maybe I'm one of the machers you mentioned) and the way that Hillel was sometimes presented on here, I want to go on record as saying that this blog has added to the ability for Jewish students at UCSC to communicate what is going on and with each other and for that I say thank you and kol hakavod. Job well done. Kol tuv,

-Shalom, Santa Cruz Hillel

P.S. There are some cool Jewish events going on in town this summer: visiting rabbis, a shabbaton with Rabbi Naftali Ciron at Benyo's winery, a week long Jewish Renewal retreat in Boony Doon, etc. Anyone who is in town and wants to know more about any of that or local syngogue Services, meals, and events can drop me a line at shalom@santacruzhillel.org

See ya in the fall!

Thu Jun 22, 01:58:00 PM 2006  
Blogger G-D SQUAD said...

Shalom, thank you. Yeah, sorry, I didn't think anyone was really reading the blog anymore since summer started. Thank you sincerely for your comments.
Hopefully I'll see you back in Santa Cruz in a few weeks.

Thu Jun 22, 04:39:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home