Friday, April 21, 2006

We want Marijuana now, we don't want to wait!

So yesterday was the eighth and last day of Passover for this year, the day on which the Feast of Moshiach traditionally takes place; that's the part that I fear most UCSC Jews were not aware of. However, I have a funny feeling that most of you knew that it was 4/20.

Did your humble servant, G-D SQUAD, make it to the Porter meadow, you ask? Indeed, he did. "But it was Yom Tov!" you protest. "Jews are forbidden from riding on UCSC shuttles and Metro buses on Yom Tov! You had to be in services and make kiddush and all that jazz!" Indeed, indeed.

In the morning, I and a handfull of your fellow students were at services and got to hear the special Torah reading for the last day of Passover (B'H). I then had the schus of attending a festive se'udah until midday, which included kiddush and an array of excellent holiday foods. Then, at around 3:00pm, I walked up to Porter. Yep, straight up.

When I arrived at Porter, the scene seriously reminded me of what I imagine it will be like when Moshiach comes (l'havdil) and everybody will be going to Jerusalem to the Beis HaMikdash.
There were streams of people coming from all directions, walking towards one central location. But it wasn't to greet Moshiach, it was apparently to stand together and smoke pot.

Well, I walked around in the crowd and bumped into a number of you Jewish slugs. Yeah, I saw you with your Jewish camp shirts on, your "You don't have to be Jewish to enjoy Levy's" shirts, and your Jew-fros. I always thought THC stood for "The Hebrew Crew." I saw one holy Yid carrying boxes of matzah up to share with his peeps, yasher koach.

Passover wasn't just about becoming free in the generic sense of the word. It was about being free to be a Jew, to be connected with Torah in a way not possible when you're a slave. Yeah, pot is cool, but don't be a slave to pot. Next time you roll a fatty, remember that it's also cool to roll a Torah scroll.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wurd...

Sat Apr 22, 09:08:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

werd

Sat Apr 22, 10:17:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no!!

Sat Apr 22, 11:06:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smoked a fatty.

Tue Apr 25, 04:38:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home